Good Friend Electric, founded in 1937 by Manny and Lillian Goodfriend, was located on Main Street in downtown Toms River. In 1949 Irving Rosen purchased the business from Manny and Lillian. In 1951 they became partners and in 1957 Irv became the sole owner again. Zev Rosen joined his father in 1957 at Goodfriend’s Electric after graduating from Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute and working for General Electric. Later that year, Goodfriend’s Electric was incorporated and became Good Friend Electric. The business moved to Route 37 in 1953. In 1974 Good Friend Electric doubled the size of its building.
In 1987, Good Friend Electric celebrated its 50th year in business. That year also marked the opening of its first branch location in Lacey. Four more branches have opened since: Brick in 1989, Manahawkin in 1995, Lakewood in 1998 and Wall in 2020.
Good Friend Electric has been a family owned business through four generations. First Irv Rosen, then Zev Rosen and today is led by Good Friend Electric President, David Rosen and his son Ethan Rosen, Sales & Operations Manager.